Friday, November 30, 2012

Vegetarian for the Holidays

I was reading a column in the Friday, November 30, 2012 Chicago Tribune by Harriette Cole.  I'm sending you here because I can't find a link to the story on the Tribune for some reason.  This link doesn't give you the entire story because you need a subscription.

Harriette Cole writes an advice column titled, Ask Harriette.  You write and ask her for advice on your problem or situation.

This particular column was titled, "Vegetarian Fears Family at Holiday."  Obviously, being a vegetarian and having to deal with questions from the family (friends and complete strangers) about my choice, I knew I had to read it.

The person writes that they have been a vegetarian for 5 months and they haven't told the family yet.  This person's family consists of big meat eaters.  He/she is afraid of "the backlash" from family members. 

I can related to this person.  I've been a vegetarian since May.  I've tried to keep it to myself so I don't bother others and have them make a special meal just for me.  It's my choice.  When people find out, I get attacked with questions.

How long have you been a vegetarian?
Why are you a vegetarian?
When are you going to eat meat again?
Is this for health reasons or a special diet that you are on?

Then comes the advice.

You aren't getting any protein. 
Meat will provide you with all of the protein your body needs.
You need meat to survive.
You can just eat a little meat every once in awhile.

I just let them go on and on.  I don't want to be rude.

I don't understand why I have to defend my choice.  If I was going to eat fast food for the rest of my life, then you can try to talk some sense into me.  Bring it up when you see me.   But, eating fruits and vegetables?  I'm making healthy decisions about what I put into my body.  I see nothing wrong with that.

My answer is: I don't see a reason to defend your decision on becoming a vegetarian.  You can tell friends and family that you are a vegetarian and why, but it doesn't need to go further.  If you choose not to tell them, that is your decision.  You shouldn't feel forced to tell anyone.  At gatherings, there is usually a vegetable and/or salad that is served.  If anyone asks?  You are trying to eat light.  Or, you are not that hungry.

Enjoy your time with family and friends.

Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment