Thursday, November 29, 2012

National Museum of Mexican Art

Once again, inspired by a story written on art-city.org, I took a drive to Chicago to visit the National Museum of Mexican Art. 
 

We stopped and looked at some of the street art on 16th Street.

It happened to be a beautiful day.
The Museum is set within a neighborhood surrounded by a park.
I found the art inside fascinating.


 I was most impressed by their permanent collection.  It's fascinating to see what artists create.  I imagine the artist pouring their heart, soul and mind into their work. 



You can see Bella in the reflection. 

My favorite piece was this tile mosaic
It looks like beautifully decorated Mexican tiles
You know me and my mosaics
I wonder how the artist decided what to paint on each tile and how to put them all together
When I got closer, I realized that these tiles weren't painted

A little closer and I realize that they are tiny beads that were placed together to form pictures within each individual tile.  The colors used are so bright and vibrant.   I can't imagine all of the time (and patience) it took the artist to complete their vision for this piece.  It inspired me to rush home and create my own beaded artwork.  I haven't yet.  I need some time (and lots and lots of patience).

Just beautiful!
 
 
 Walking through the exhibit about Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) I found another mosaic piece.  This one was using colorful tiles.  The tiles seem to float off the artwork
and collect at the bottom in a colorful display


 In the Dia de los Muertos exhibit, I learned the reason for all of the skulls in Mexican artwork.  If you know me, I'm not a huge skull fan.  Mexicans do not fear death.  They believe that it's just another part of your life.  That you still continue (not in body form).  Educating, but, I'm still not a fan of skulls.
Before we left, the final display we saw was the Community Alter.   
If you see picture below, you are to write the name of a departed loved one on a piece of colored paper in remembrance of him/her
(Bella and I participated)


I found the National Museum of Mexican Art very interesting.  A great way to spend a Sunday afternoon, learning about and enjoying Mexican Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment