Friday, November 16, 2012

My twist on the Smash book

I think the smash book is such a cool idea.  It's like a little life scrap book.  A place to keep your little daily keepsakes, smashed into a book.

This is something that I wanted to try.  Instead of throwing stuff in a box, why not have it accessible in book form.  Something that you could bring out to look at, and, possibly share with others.
I took alot of my ideas from here.  I love what Melissa does on her books.   She has such great ideas.  She makes some great travel books.  I thought I would use these ideas and try and make them into my very own smash book.

And, why not make my own book.  I can make it as colorful (or glittery) as I want and no one else will have the exact same book!

Ok, enough talk, let's get to work!

What you need:
Cardboard
pretty paper
glue stick
Cutter (if needed)
Scissors
Crop-a-dile (to punch holes in your cardboard)
Binder rings
Imagination

Start with your cardboard.  This is a little too long.  It is bent in certain spots.  I wanted the larger area (they are the same size) so I had to cut the smaller pieces out using a box cutter.
not sure why I can't get this picture to turn the right way. 
You'll just have to turn your head a bit to see what I mean 
again, just go with it. 
Blogger is testing me
so are my picture uploads because this is not how they were taken
Once you have your cut outs, the fun begins!
Pick out your fancy paper.  Decide which will be for the front and the back.  Make sure that you put them the correct way.  We don't want upside down flowers.
The left is the outside front of my book, the flowers are the back of my book 
This is the inside.
The gold is the front of the book. 
This is fun, isn't it?
ok, now to make some holes and put your binder rings in.  Don't make the mistake I did (not shown) and put your rings to far in to your book.  You will have a hard time laying the book flat when you open it.  I would say go in about half of the ring size and make your hole.
I love this tool (crop-a-dile).  Makes holes in anything and everything!
added a little flair to the front
I was going to make this for Bella, but, she didn't want it and said I should make it for myself
I'm glad I did
Although, once she saw mine, she asked when I would make her one. :)

I added a few sparkly bedazzler beads to the front. 

Now I can "smash" stuff into it.

2 comments:

  1. Cool idea, but just so you know, two of your links went to the same page. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I updated it. I was having trouble from the beginning with this post. The blogger gods were against me.

      Delete