Wednesday, November 28, 2012

I need a job I'm outta work

Remember that song?
I have been looking for a part time job.  Something to do while the kids are at school (and for money).
I filled out an application.  The first one in 22 years - yikes!  I was a little nervous.  Broke out into a sweat, had to take some deep breaths to clear my head. 
I made it through and went to turn it in at the desk.  I picked this place to apply because they had a big "Now Hiring" sign outside the store.  The sign has been there for about a month.  I was told to wait to speak to the manager. 
The manager was helping a customer, so, I waited.  And waited.  And waited. 
Finally he had a moment to talk to me to go over my application.  I'm not sure what he thought.  I ran a business for 4 years.  Worked for RT for a year.  Then, nothing.  Well, raising children, which is a lot, but, doesn't count on your resume.  Then another job I was at for 7 years.  (I didn't go back all the way to my first job.  I figure 22 years is more than enough time, don't you think? 
The manager came over and we talked.  I think he was trying to scare me off with what I would be doing.  I wanted to say, "Honey, I've done stuff in my lifetime that I didn't think I would ever do."  Stay at home with kids, there's a lot of things you come in contact with (and not by choice).  Dirty diaper changes, sick clean up, potty training, dogs, cats, house cleaning.  That's just scratching the surface.  And you're telling me that I will be putting things on shelves?
The manager then tells me that they have done their Christmas hiring and that they will keep my information on file.  Then he goes on to say that I might get a call in a couple of weeks.  I might not because they might by really busy. 
Yes, I was confused too.
I wanted to say, Why do you have a sign out front telling people that your store is now hiring?  If you do not have any more positions, wouldn't you take the sign down?
Maybe they didn't want a responsible (mom) with experience to work there?
Maybe this was a way to break the news gently to me that they wouldn't be hiring me.

No comments:

Post a Comment