Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Pay it Forward

A neighbor asked for my help. 

Her aunt has been driving her son to and from preschool.  My neighbor (and her husband) is a teacher in a different school district so her boys are at an in-home daycare in the neighborhood.  Her aunt planned a vacation, so a driver was needed. 

Here I am.  The driver.

We weren't sure if the boy (I'm not going to give out his name) would go with me, so we set up a little play time (here) so he could get comfortable.  I don't think he needed it.  He just fell right in, started playing with legos, made something and was trying to give me a shot. (like a doctor)

I went to pick him up today at the sitter, worried that he might decide he doesn't want to go.  I found him waiting patiently at the front door.  I was told he had been waiting for about 20 minutes.  (I arrived early, too)  He hopped in the car, buckled himself in the car seat and we were off.  It's about a 5 minute drive (depending on the traffic light) getting us there 5 minutes early.  On the way there, and while waiting in line, the boy gave me a run down of what and what not to do for drop off and pick up.  We will be bringing his brother on Thursday and I was given specific instructions from him on what to do and where to go.  (I was also given the information from his mom, too)  The boy's information was much more specific.  Especially the part about how his aunt is always behind the line at pickup time (I was told she was the 3rd or 4th car in line). 

We talked about the school pick up/drop off procedures, where to park, the playground, sand vs. wood chips and recess time.

I'm not getting paid (money) for my driving skills.  I am getting paid in life lessons from a preschooler.  What could be more precious and valuable than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment