Thursday, November 8, 2012

Vegetarian Diaries - Mediterranean Shells

Haven't done an edition of Vegetarian Diaries in awhile.

I'm still hanging in there as a vegetarian.  Some days it's difficult when trying to find something quick to eat.  I'm not a fast food person (never have been) so I can't just run out and grab something quick.  Making meals from scratch  is a lot better for you.  They call it "slow food."  It takes awhile to make and it's better for you.

RT has been good about my decision.  He has been encouraging and is a great cheerleader.  It does get frustrating.  When you can't find something as quickly to eat or you are trying to be creative at a restaurant or the restaurant to eat at is based on what you can/will eat.

Luckily I enjoy cooking.  Some recipes I have been making for many years and I can continue to make and eat them now. 

Here's one that I would like to share.  This is a spin on the spanakopita I made here.  It has the same flavors and some of the same ingredients, but you use pasta shells.


Mixing the spinach and feta cheese together

 

stuffing the mixture into pasta shells


Delicious!

Here's the recipe.
Unfortunately, I do not remember where I found this recipe.

Mediterranean Shells

24 jumbo shells (about 2/3 of a 12oz package)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium size onion, chopped
1 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 8 oz package of feta cheese, crumbled
1 8 oz package of ricotta cheese
2 Tablespoons of chopped fresh dill
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 large eggs
8 oz package of spinach (or vegetable) soup mix

About 45 minutes before serving:
Prepare jumbo shells as directed, but do not use salt in the water.
In pan heat olive oil and cook onion until tender.  Remove from heat, stir in spinach, feta cheese, ricotta cheese, chopped dill, pepper and eggs.
Preheat oven to 375F
Drain shells, rinse with cold water and drain.
Fill each shell with 1 rounded tablespoon of spinach/cheese mixture.
Pour soup into a casserole dish and arrange shells in the sauce. 
Cover and bake for 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
6 main dish Servings *

*there are 5 of us and we still have leftovers.  And two of those eaters eat more than the normal person.

Let me know if you try the recipe.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment