Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Teacher Appreciation Gift - M & M Jar

This week is Teacher Appreciation Week for our school.

There are a lot of cute idea's for teacher gifts all over the internet.  I found this idea here for a gift for Bella's teacher.  It's pretty simple and can be used for a coach or a friend (just change the wording on the poem).  I thought this was a cute gift idea and it can also be done for under $5.  Sweet!

Here's what we did:

Clear glass jar (on hand or you can purchase one at the Dollar store or reuse a glass jar on hand)*
Pretty paper or fabric
ribbon or twine
poem
M & M's

*if you are reusing a glass jar that you have on hand, make sure it has been thoroughly cleaned out, and that there are no labels on the jar.  If there are words on the lid you can be creative and decorate the lid with paper or material.

Okay.  Make sure you pay attention.  Lots of steps in making this gift.

Take your glass jar (whew!  I'm sweating already!) and fill with M & M's.  Hey!  No eating the M & M's!

Trace lid onto paper (or material) and cut out.  Glue paper/material onto lid.  Put lid onto jar.

Print out poem.  Cut down to size and glue onto a pretty piece of paper.

Punch a hole in the corner.  Use your ribbon or twine and lace through the paper and wrap around the jar lid.  Pretty bow and you are done.

Wow.  Didn't think I was going to make it through that tutorial.

**Here is the poem that I used (I changed a word or two):

Green is for the inspiration you give me each day.
Blue is for your patience in showing me the way.
Orange is for your warmth and caring style.
Yellow is for the way you always make me smile.
Red is for my life that you have touched this year.
You’re a very special teacher just like this jar, that’s clear.
You place knowledge in our children’s hands
and melt into their hearts and lives forever.
You’re a “Magnificent” & “Marvelous” teacher
Thank you for being my M&M.


I think it turned out pretty good.  What do you think?
I'm off to make some cookies.  I have to keep the kids away from the M & M's.  The only way to keep them away is to distract them with another sweet treat.


***Looking for other ideas for Teacher Appreciation gifts?  Check these out:

 Thank you for making me a Sharpie
Thank you for making me a Big Smartie
Thank you for your Commit "mint"

No comments:

Post a Comment