Friday, May 10, 2013

Upcycling - Empty Cans

Trying to find some easy storage solutions using what I have on hand.  These can also be a last minute Mother's Day gift.  Hint.  Hint.  Yes.  It's this Sunday.  Don't forget!

I found these adorable cans on North Shore Days.  If you get a chance, look around her blog.  Love her creativity!  Natalie also gives you a wonderful little tutorial on how to make your own pretty upcycled can holder.

I decided that my desk needed a little color pick me up and made an attempt at making my own pretty can to hold all of those pens an pencils that are lying around the house.

I decided to paint my can green (for spring).  Well, it's also the first color that I grabbed.  Thought it would brighten my day by looking at it.  :)

I wrapped a little twine around the can and embellished it with a flower. 
It's sitting on my desk
love it!

I saved another can from the recycling bin.  This time I took the idea from Creative in Chicago and  blinged out my can.  This one was taken over by Bella (of course).

I used nail polish to color my clear gems (available at the Dollar Store by the flowers).  I painted some using silver nail polish on the outside of the gem and the rest I polished pink on the flat said of the gem.

M for Mother's Day!

Of course, I ran out of glue for my glue gun! 

Oh the horror! 
I had to run out for some more to finish up the project. Luckily they have glue sticks for hot glue guns at the Dollar Store. (a closer trip than one of the craft stores)  The finished project is pretty heavy. Be extra careful when moving it around.

Cute.

Easy.

Affordable. 

Great as a pencil cup, utensil holder in the kitchen or make up brushes in the bathroom.

And, they make a cute Mother's Day gift, too!
*if you can pry them from your daughter  :)

1 comment:

  1. Great looking bling pot. they are lot of fun to make!

    ReplyDelete