Monday, May 13, 2013

The Best Mother's Day Gift Ever

I know I'm not the only one that can say that about a mother's day gift I received.  I'm sure a lot of mother's say that about the gifts they receive on Mother's Day.  Children are the greatest gift.  How can you top that?

A friend of mine had told me that last year she asked her kids to write her a letter.  In that letter, they were to tell her something about themselves that she did not know.  Maybe it's an interest in something, some place they would like to go visit or a sport they enjoy?  Maybe a dream they have for their future?  She has four children and said  that she was touched and pleasantly surprised by the letters she received.

For Mother's Day this year, I told RT this story.  I was a little worried about what they would write about (I don't need to know EVERYTHING).  And, knowing boys, well, at least my boys, they hate to write.  This would prove to be quite interesting.  Bella did not participate.  If she did, she would have no problem composing a novel and presenting it to me.

RT gave the boys a few days to work on their letters.  Little did I know that he asked them to write about me and things that they are thankful for (IE, thankful for the little things that I do for them).

On Mother's Day I was presented with a letter.  First, from Alex.  This was a full page letter.  I can tell he did an outline because his paragraphs flowed quite nicely.  I was pleasantly surprised by his letter, thanking me for all of the little things that I do for him (and the family).  Things that I think go unnoticed.  Some things that I do that I think he might be upset with me about, he was actually thankful for them.  It was a very touching letter that brought tears to my eyes.  Yes, from the teenager that has been giving me quite a hard time lately. 

That evening, after reminding Nick about the letter I was waiting to receive (he said that he was still working on it in his head), I was presented with his letter.  This one was what I expected in length.  (he isn't into writing)  What he said was more important than the length of any letter.  Again, thanking me for the little things and some other things that I said or did that I didn't think he noticed.   Again, very touching.

I'm very grateful for my children and have always been proud of them.  These letters were my job reviews.  I think I did pretty good.  No other job review could compare to what I received in these letters.  And no other compensation could compare to what I felt when I read the letters.  This Mother's Day gift was Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment