Friday, May 3, 2013

Bottle Cap Necklace

These are pretty simple to make and you are reusing something that you might have on hand. 

Bottle caps! 

They are from that stash of  "it's 5 o'clock somewhere" times.  And, if you don't drink alcohol, they do use bottle caps on root beer, too.  You can even purchase unused bottle caps from Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

If you check out Pinterest and search bottle caps you will come up with lots of things to do with them.

I'm all for re purposing things and thought this might be a fun activity for my side kick Bella.   Oh, and you get to wear it which makes it even more special.

Take a look at the back of your bottle caps. We have some that are blue with palm trees. We decided to paint a few of them and keep some with the palm trees. Before you run off to paint, take a hammer and nail and pound a hole near the edge so you can attach a jump ring once you are done painting (so you can wear it as a necklace).

For our first charm, I saved some dried up play dough. I don't normally save dried up play dough (I'm not THAT crazy).  And for those of you that know me, you just keep quiet...you know who you are.  This play dough had some pretty silver on it. Loved how the colors worked together.

We just took some glue (E6000) and glued the play dough inside the cap. That's it. Bella thought it might need something sparkly, so we brought out the glitter glue and filled in the space around the play dough.  (What is a craft if you don't use glitter?).

I found this cool idea for a bottle cap project here at Ucreate with kids.  We pounded out a bottle cap.  Great way to get out your frustrations, or so I thought.  You have to pound it from the inside to flatten it.  (a little difficult, but doable) We cut a circle from some pretty paper and glued it to the inside of the cap.  Pound a nail into the top of the cap.  Leave the nail in  the cap and put your Modge Podge Dimensional Magic over your picture.  Leave the nail in the cap and let it sit for 24 hours. 

Bella wanted to use this one as a necklace.  In fact, she said she wanted me to have one, too, so we can have matching necklaces so (her words) "every one will know we love each other."  Cute, huh?

I'm lovin' the Modge Podge Dimensional Magic!  It's a cool product.  (no, I'm not getting a kickback from Modge Podge)  I should, though.  I liked how it works and we decided to make another charm.

For this charm we left the bottle cap as is and traced it on some pink zebra stripe paper (can you tell it's going to be Bella's?).  Cut the circle out and glued inside the bottle cap.  Bella put a little jewel on the paper.  I pounded a nail into the  cap (for the jump ring) and we added our Modge Podge Dimensional Magic (MPDM).  We waited the 24 hours and decided we wanted it to be a little thicker so we added another coat of the MPDM. 
it's still in the drying stage
Bella is happy and can't wait to wear it
 
Keep saving those bottle caps! 
I'm eyeing that tray covered with bottle caps.  Maybe next time!

2 comments:

  1. I have a whole sandwich size tupperware container full of bottle caps if you want them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooohhhh! Tempting! I have quite a few for now. I will let you know if I need them.

      Delete