Friday, March 10, 2017

Water Bill

It all started when I asked Nick to turn the water off when he was in the kitchen washing dishes (his dishes only, by the way).  He has a tendency to let the water run for long periods of time.  He proceeded to tell me that he doesn't use that much water.

This from the man who invented the 30 minute shower (what I like to refer to as, "the four hour shower.")

We just happened to get our water bill that day, so I opened it to show him and realized that it was three times the normal amount!!'

Yes.  You read that right.  Three times the normal amount.

That's where RT and I launched into the long shower (4 hour shower) conversation.  Nick said they are 10 minutes.  Still too long in my book.  I mean, get in, clean up and get out!  Am I right?  I think I learned that when our water heater was dying.  I mastered the art of a three minute shower.  < you have to go in with a plan.

Any way, getting back to our water bill problem...

I decided to call the Village and talk to them.

You see, about 20 years ago (yea, we've lived here for 20 years...scary, right?)  we had a similar situation.  Our first water bill was $150 (RT, Nick (who was 7 months old) and I were living here at the time.  RT and I were working full time and didn't water our lawn (that's what they told us was the problem).  The next bill was $400!  That's us and no lawn watering.  Turns out our water meter was old and they replaced it.

So, this time, I thought maybe it was the water meter, even though they just installed a new one a few months ago.  (we've been here that long to see a third water meter...)  They said to check to see if there is a leaking toilet.  After a quick check, we found the leaking toilet.  The one that is in the bathroom that is getting remodeled in a couple of weeks.

Nick was right by my side calculating how much it would cost to run that toilet per day (don't you just love kids showing off their math skills?).  The water to the toilet is now shut off until we fix or install a new one.  In the meantime, the kids have to use another bathroom.

Hopefully we will see an adjustment in our next water bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment