Sunday, December 16, 2012

Easy to make Necklace

I found this DIY necklace in the Family Fun magazine's December/January 2013 issue for easy to make Christmas gifts (It's on page 82, check it out!).  It's pretty simple and doesn't cost much to make one necklace.  It is definitely doable under a dollar.

Kids can make them and give them as gifts to their friends (or family members).  Bella had fun making her own designs.  They are also fun for big people to make, too! 

Supplies needed:
Washer(s) (the "s" is there incase you want to make multiple necklaces)
nail polish (or craft paint)
ribbon or cord, long enough to go around your neck

We used nail polish.  I like it because it's sparkly and shiny. We started out with a white coat of nail polish.  Make sure that your washer dries completely.  We used white because it was like having a fresh piece of paper.  Weird, I know.  You can use any color as the base coat.  Then, pick a color and start painting on your washer (again, making sure that the polish dries before adding the next color)  The fun is making your own design.  There is no wrong way.  Let yourself go!   Oh, and don't forget to add a clear top coat to seal in your beautiful artwork! 

I'm trying to get a close up using the carpet as a background
I had a little trouble because I was trying to avoid...
photo crasher
yea, Pippen is my little shadow he has to know EVERYTHING I'm doing
by the way, he thinks it smells good
Here's the closeup (without the nose, but a paw in the background)
 
I used a shoelace that I picked up from the dollar store and glued it into a metal clasp to make it easy to wear.  You could also use a ribbon for a softer look.  I think I'm going to have to cut the shoelace a little smaller for Bella.  This one was a little too long for her.  Well, I thought it looked nice, but, Miss Fashion Queen told me she likes her necklaces to be a little shorter.

You can purchase a washer for less than a dollar (you might even have some on hand), nail polish (we had on hand) and ribbon, cord or string (probably have it on hand).  Very inexpensive to make and very easy to change your necklace everytime you change your outfit!
Thanks for helping today, Pippen!
 
*Update:  for more ideas on necklaces check out the one I did here and here.  Leave me a message and let me know how your necklace turns out.  I would love to see a picture! 

1 comment: