Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The school is under lockdown, but send your kid anyway

The elementary school in our area is under a lockdown.  The police are investigating suspicious activity in the area.  Put your kids on the bus anyway.  The bus will be taken to the Junior High then transported back to school when all is safe.  Walkers stay home.

Um.  Yeah.  That makes me feel REAL comfortable sending my child to school.

That's the phone call I received this morning.  Scary, huh?

The next phone call was a Code Red.  A community alert call that there was an incident in the area at 5:45am, a break in, the homeowner confronted the person and the person is now on the loose in our area.

RT gave Alex a ride to school.  I know, we live a block and a half away.  I didn't want to take any chances.  Of course he forgot his lunch and has a basketball game today and his school is under a soft lockdown (no one entering or leaving the school).   Hopefully this will end pleasantly and I can get him his lunch.

There are helicopters combing the area. Quite a few police cars driving around. All are doing their job and trying to keep us safe.

I texted Nick to see if he made it to school safely.  He gets on the bus at 6:35am.  That would have given the person plenty of time to get to that stop.  I didn't get a quick enough response (like, one second) so I ended up calling the school and having them check to make sure he was in class.  (he is in class) I can't help it.  I'm a little overprotective.  It's the mom in me.

Meanwhile, Bella is singing and playing with her Legos, the dogs, who have no clue, are (play) fighting, and I'm writing about it and hoping this ends soon (and pleasantly).

UPDATE:
Lockdown has been lifted and kids are back in school.  Alex has his lunch.  Helicopter is still flying around the area.  Have not heard an update, am hoping all is ok and safe.

1 comment: