Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The End of the World

If you read the Bible, you know that no one (no human) knows the exact day that the world will end.  In Matthew 24 v. 36 it says:

"But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only."

According to the Mayan calendar the world is going to end on December 21, 2012.  The calendar began in 3114 BC and spanned about 5,000 years.

That's a lot of calendar making.  They didn't have pen and paper or computers.  Can you imagine being assigned to make the calendar for the next 5,000 years, without using a computer?  I'm surprised they didn't stop after 100 years.  Did they really need calendars dating 5,000 years from now?

I'm a little disappointed.

I thought the end of the world would be played up a little more.  Why finish your shopping when the world's going to end before Christmas?  Oh, yeah.  I don't think the retailers want you to stop buying things.  World ending or not, they want to make money.

Even if you don't believe the world is going to end, it does make a good excuse to use for things that you don't want to do.

"I'm sorry.  I can't make your party because the world is going to end."

"I can't do laundry.  It's the end of the world."  (who cares if you're wearing dirty clothes?)

And, my favorite,
"I'm not cleaning the house. It's the end of the world!"

Let those dirty clothes pile up.  Let the house gather dust and dirt.

Of course if my kids find out about these excuses they would start using them, too.

"I didn't do my homework because the world is going to end."

"I didn't study for the test/exam because the world is ending."

That takes all of the fun out of end of the world.  I know how to ruin it, don't I?

I'm going to do some laundry and clean the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment