Friday, December 7, 2012

My achin' back

Reminds me of another great Three Stooges line from "Uncivil Warriors"

Pardon me, how long have you had a weak back?

Oh, about a week back.

So, there I am at 7am this morning on the side yard (that's what we call the fenced in side of the house.  Yes, the back is fenced in too, but separately.  Does that make sense?)  Anyway, I had this hair brained idea to clean up after the dogs.  It was about 30 degrees outside and I'm wearing a t-shirt and pants.  I bend and then I feel a snap across the middle of my back.  I don't move at all because I don't want to make it worse.

So, I pulled my back cleaning up dog poop.  How funny is that?  How do you say that with a straight face? 

As I am hunched over I try to figure out how I will get inside.  You see, if I stay there I will freeze to death.  Ok there might be a little exaggeration in that last sentence.  But remember the t-shirt, it's 30 degrees and I can't move.

I start to think if anyone would come and help me?  Nick left for school already and Alex and RT are still sleeping.  The dogs would be no help.  Knowing RT he wouldn't come looking for me.  He would just wonder aloud what happened to me.  Asking the kids every once in awhile if they have seen me.  People would ask him about me and he would reply, "You know, I went to bed one night, woke up the next morning and she was gone!  Didn't even take her coat or purse!"  Then I can see him walking outside in the spring and seeing me there.  "I was wondering what happened to you!?

I decided to straighten up and walk slowly inside.  Slowly because I have to walk down a flight of stairs, then decided to go up two more flights to the family room.  We have a lot of stairs in our house.

I plopped on the couch and hoped for the best.  The best, meaning RT would wake up and walk Bella down to the bus stop. 

I was able to make it down to the floor and stretch a little.  And, successfully made it back to a standing position.

I thought about what triggered it.  My back as an aversion to dog poop?  My back is out to get me?  How about lugging the (artificial) tree boxes and 4 boxes of Christmas decorations down from the attic?  Moving 3 plants upstairs?  Or moving the space heater, that was making a home in the living room for the last month, back up to the attic?

I'm decided to give myself the rest of the day off.  With pay.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about your back. I know how that is. I hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete