Friday, December 14, 2012

Old Christmas Lights Upcycled

I have a bag of used Christmas lights. 

Used lights?  Or burnt out lights? 

They have been hanging out in a bag in the basement waiting to be recycled.  I have had them for quite a few years.  Yea, I probably should have found something to do with them a long time ago.  I'm a little slow at some things.  I didn't want to just throw them away.  So, I (finally) figured out what to do with them.  Better late than never.

Supplies needed:
Used (burnt out?) Christmas bulbs
Paint (red, green, silver)
paint brush
Optional:  glitter (everything is better with glitter)

Decide what color(s) you are going to use and start painting the glass.  You won't be able to use these again as lights (they don't work, remember?).  These are just going to be decorations.
 
I used clothespins to hold them while I painted them and to make it easier for them to dry



My bowl and tray

I added mine to my thrifted bowl. I put some clear marbles (had them on hand) in the bottom, then added the newly painted Christmas light bulbs. 


I put some in a decorative bowl in my living room.  Makes things festive.

After the bulbs have been painted:  If you are blessed with artistic talents (meaning you can paint and people know what it is that you painted) then you can paint a tree, santa, stocking, candy cane or an angel onto the light bulb.  If you do not have that talent (or just don't want to show off, like me) you can cut out a small picture (that will fit onto the bulb) and modge podge it onto the bulb.  You can add glitter to the bulb and make them sparkly!

If you don't want to add them to a bowl and show them off, you can put a magnet on the back and spread some holiday cheer by putting them on your refrigerator.  Or, tie a rope (shoestring) around the end and spread even more cheer as you wear it as a necklace! 

No comments:

Post a Comment