Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Cork Board Transformation - using old picture frame

I have seen this idea all over the Internet and decided to give it a try.  Taking an old picture frame, painting it and putting a cork board inside it and using it to display (or organize) jewelry.  I opted to cover my cork board with material.

What you need:
picture frame
paint (optional)
cork board
material
staple gun

I found this picture frame and fell in love with the details. 

It was a bright metallic gold color and I felt it would look better white.  On a nice day over spring break (we didn't have many) I brought my frame outside and scrubbed it clean.  Some of that dark stuff is dirt and dust.  Once the frame dried I spray painted it white.  I really had fun spray painting and am thinking of making a career out of it.

Once dry, I had to cut the cork board to fit inside the picture frame (a lot easier said than done).  Always make sure to measure.  I did, but I was off a little.  I forgot about the thickness of the fabric that would go around the cork board.  I used a box cutter and a saw to make the cork board a little smaller.  I was careful not to ruin the cork board.

Once that was done, I cut the fabric.   I used part of a drop cloth (yes, a drop cloth) from Home Depot.  It's new and unused.  Stapled it all together.


All ready to be on display in Bella's room.

No comments:

Post a Comment