Monday, April 22, 2013

Blogging 101 - Courtesy

This post came about because I was searching other blogs for ideas for a Girl Scout craft for Mother's Day.  I had to write this post because a blog that I sometimes frequent had a post that they made sound "original."  "Original" as in this (their post and what they made) was their own idea.  What got me upset was the fact that I had posted the same idea back in September.  It was not my idea and I referenced the blog (twice, I believe) and post where the idea originated. 

Rule number 1:  Always give credit to the person/place where you find an idea.

I read the entire post, thinking the credit would be listed somewhere in the body of the post.  The person stated that they posted this on another person's blog.  I used that link and found that the post was done in January (of this year).  Again with no reference to the original post. 

It's sad to think that people do this to other's.  I know it wasn't my original idea and I shouldn't be that upset, but, it bothers me.  Especially when the person states on their blog how they are religious.  I don't remember a religion that states that it is okay to steal other people's ideas and run with them.

If you blog, be kind and considerate.  Always give credit where credit is due.  If you are not sure where the idea originated, make sure that you state in your blog post that you did not come up with this idea and that this is just your take (on how to make it / do it, etc.).

I'm not the blog police. 

I'm not trying to be mean. 

I am getting the word out about doing the right thing. 

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean, but whenever something like this comes up, I think of Harry S. Truman: “It is amazing how much you can accomplish when it doesn't matter who gets the credit.” I feel we're all one and if someone runs with one of my ideas, I'm happy. I don't need any credit, especially when they're probably all God's ideas anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess what bothers me is when someone says that it is their idea (and that no one else has ever done this before). I guess I shouldn't let the little things bother me.

      Delete