Friday, March 29, 2013

The Shampoo Question: To Poo or not to Poo?

That is the question.

I haven't talked about my shampoo habits on my blog.  I didn't think it was that fascinating until I was having a conversation with someone and put everything about my shampoo habits out there in the open.

My friend, Patti convinced me to change my shampoo habits.  (you can read about some of her shampoo adventures here and you can also search "shampoo" on her blog) 

The shampoo available on the market strips your hair of natural oils.  Your hair then tries to build up oils until you wash your hair again (which then strips them of the oils).  It's a little circle that has no end.  I noticed that my scalp has always been extremely dry.  I tried skipping a day when washing my hair.  Sometimes I was lucky and my hair looked okay on the next day, sometimes it did not.  It was probably a confusing process for my hair because it never knew when the oil was going to be taken from it and just was on this continuous oil production.

Patti started with baking soda and water (with a splash of white vinegar) at first, then moved on to castille soap with a white vinegar rinse.

The baking soda in a cup of warm water is a popular no-poo solution for your hair.  This method of caring for your hair will take one to two weeks for your hair to adjust.  Also, this is not a daily washing method.  Your hair does not need to be washed daily.  If needed, you can just rinse through your hair.  If you can't survive the oily adjustment phase, this might be the way to go.  You can always start with this method so your hair adjusts then switch to another method.

I searched for other ideas for home made shampoo.  I tried the (Dr. Bronner's) castille soap and vinegar rinse.  I was loving that my scalp did not itch anymore.  My only problem was the strong vinegar smell on my head.  (the smell came through when my hair was wet)  I did not scrub my head very much when shampooing it and noticed that I was clogging my pores on my scalp.  (Gross, I know, but I learned a lesson)  I got my hair cut and liked how my hair looked (she used regular brand shampoo) and I started back using regular shampoo for about a month.  Then, I noticed my hair was getting REAL dry and I was having issues with oil production on my scalp.  (something that dermatologists would call acne, but, it's not acne.  Acne has a certain look to it.  This did not look like acne.  I call it an over production of oil - trying to compensate for the oil being lost on my scalp) (I know I'm not a doctor, but, I know my body and I know when something is wrong.  Unlike a doctor, I want to find a reason for the problem, not slap a temporary solution onto it).

Anyway, back to the poo discussion.  I searched for other ideas for home made shampoo. I came up with this from Ashley's Homemade Adventures.  It seemed a little complicating (for me, at least) so, I decided to go back to my old shampoo habit but modify it a bit.  I now use half castille soap and half water (in a spray bottle).  I spray a little into my hair and scrub (making sure to scrub my scalp).  Rinse.  I then use a conditioner (paraben and sulfate free) on my hair.  I'm not sure if I need the conditioner, but I feel it might cut down some of the oil that I'm putting into the hair.  I do not wash my hair every day.  I could, but, I don't.  I make sure to brush it at night and in the morning (something that my mom used to tell me to do when I was growing up, "brush your hair to distribute the oils")  

When you first start this (half castille soap half water) your hair will be oily.  Don't start this if you have a major event in the next couple of weeks.  This method might take 4-8 weeks, depending on how often you wash your hair.  It is best to go 3-4 days without washing it the first time.  You will notice that your hair will start looking oily after 24 hours.  That's normal.  Your hair is used to your old shampoo ways and is worried about getting the oil stripped away.  Continue by going anywhere from 2-4 days without washing.  I felt like this sped up the adjustment time on my hair a little (or maybe it just felt like it?).  I do not have to add anything to my hair (hair gel, mousse, etc)  and it looks great.  (well, I think it does)  I just blow dry my hair and I am ready to go.

I tried to capture some pictures of my hair on day one (the day I "shampoo" it) and day two (the day after I "shampoo" it).  Hard to take pictures of yourself.  Day one is using my phone.  I didn't realize how dark my hair is (I say it's brown, but, it's looking real dark.  my kids say my hair is black)


 


 
phone pictures
trying to show you that my hair doesn't look greasy after washing it with castille soap. 
I have been doing this for 3 months (this time around)
(I'll let you know if I figure out how to get rid of gray hairs :)



Wow.  Trying to take my own picture and like it is quite difficult.
Okay.  Day two.
And my, "What's going on over there?" look
 
I took more pictures for day two, but, I think I have scared you enough. 

Let me know your thoughts on shampoo.  I'm interested to see if anyone else has tried the no-poo method and how it has worked for them.

5 comments:

  1. Patti's has me doing the Dr. Bronner thing. I'm the same way. I wash it 2 or 3 times a week. No conditioner though, just the soap. Since I usually just wear a ponytail it doesn't matter much but I like the soap.

    Gotta say, I enjoy your blog. It's funny though, whenever you post, the ad at the bottom is always related to what you blog about. (TRESemme on this one) The best one was when you ripped on GMO's and they ran a Monsanto ad under it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might just go straight Bronner's during the summer since we visit the pool alot. The chlorine is a killer on the hair.
      Hilarious about the Monsanto ad. I hope people know I'm not for it. I don't place the ads. Obviously they didn't read my post before placement.
      Glad you enjoy the blog.

      Delete
  2. I put lavender oil in the vinegar to help with the smell. If I don't use it to rinse, I have trouble combing it and my hair feels like it has a coating on it. Maybe I'm just not rinsing it enough.

    After switching to Dr. Bronner's, I got into the habit of washing my hair at least every other day until I noticed that some days my hair was really dry. I've finally come to the realization that I should just wash my hair when it needs it. Sometimes I've gone three days without washing my hair which surprised me. When I used regular 'poo, I had to wash my hair every day or it was a greasy mess.

    I've never noticed the advertisements. I guess I've trained myself to ignore them.

    Oh, I enjoy your blog, too. It's much funnier than mine. You have a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hair was getting real dry. Washing it didn't help, of course, and I hated how it looked waiting for it to get oily. Then I remembered coconut oil. I put it on my hair and sat in the sun for a while. I didn't wash it out very well, so I went a day looking like a greaser. But the next day after I washed it, it looked and felt fabulous! Thank you, coconut oil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of putting coconut oil on your hair as a conditioning treatment. I think I might have to try this one because my hair is feeling a little dry. Thanks for the reply!

      Delete