Thursday, April 11, 2013

Jury Duty: Post 2

Well, I just found out I can't blog about my experience as a prospective juror until my term of service is over.  So, I am writing out (long hand) my experience and will post after I am done with my service.

You will be happy to know that they are playing HGTV's "Love it or List it."  I like HGTV and the show is pretty good.  Although, hearing the show continuously for eight hours might be a little annoying.

The one good thing about hanging out here is I am able to write some blog posts without interruptions (except for the "Love it or List it" show blaring in the background).  If I write, "Do you love it or do you want to list it," on any of my posts, you will know why.

I was able to ready a little of my book (again, with the TV blaring behind me).  I was pretty bored around noon but decided to stay put.  You are able to leave the courthouse, but, then I would have to go through security check and disrobe again (problem with a belt buckle, don't ask).  I didn't want to go through that nightmare again and decided to stay and eat my lunch in the jury room.  If you stay, you have to eat in the jury room.  A few people sat down at my table and then I realize that I know the woman across from me.  I have seen her at various events around town (not a close friend, but hey, it's a person to talk to).  That helped me pass about an hour of my time.

After lunch we were told that they still had two trials that might need jurors (the same two that we were told about this morning).

Time passes slowly in the jury waiting room.  I have to say that I am glad I brought all of this paper with me to write some blog posts.  It sure has come in handy!

One woman in the bathroom told me that she has been here two weeks (on a trial, not in the bathroom).  She said one day she was late and the police called her (she was parking her car).  She said, "Show up or the police will come and get you!"

My excitement reached a new level when I was called to a courtroom around 2:00pm.  For two and a half hours I got to watch as they interviewed jurors for a trial.  I did not get selected (it's all random and they had a jury and an alternate selected before they got to me).  I found the whole process fascinating and was glad to have experienced it up close and in person.  (of course, my derriere didn't like it...the seats were a tad uncomfortable and they could have turned the heat on)

All in all, another interesting experience.  A little long and tiring but, I survived.  I have fulfilled my civic duty (twice, because I voted on Tuesday).

Now.  Back to reality.

And a HUGE pile of laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment