Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Vegetarian Diaries - Chinese Peanut Sesame Noodles

I'm closing in on a year now being meat free.  Still feeling great and no, I don't miss meat.  Okay, maybe bacon.  How can you not miss bacon?

I have another fun, tasty recipe to share.  I cut this recipe out of a magazine (I think it was Family Fun magazine) awhile ago.  This is a recipe from Andrew Zimmern.  I did make a few adjustments.  This recipe was made for kids and didn't use a lot of vegetables so I decided to add more (because I like vegetables).  Every time I make this recipe I change the vegetables.  I have added mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini, carrots and spinach.  I don't feel that it takes anything away from the recipe.  I don't have an exact measurement of what I add.  I like to just look at what I have on hand and just start throwing stuff in.  Yea, I would make a great TV chef.  "Just throw whatever you have on hand into the pot.  You don't have to measure it!"  I'm sure I would have a huge TV audience.  :)

Today's meal is mushrooms, zucchini and red pepper.
(I don't saute the green onion)


Here's the recipe:


Chinese Peanut-Sesame Noodles
by Andrew Zimmern

for the noodles
1 pound Chinese or other thin egg noodles
1 cup julienned cucumber
2 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallion
1/4 cup cilantro sprigs

for the sauce
2 Tablespoons ground sesame paste or tahini
2 Tablespoons of creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon hot chili paste
1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
1 Tablespoon rice wine
3 Tablespoons water

Cook the noodles according to directions.  Drain them, then rinse them in cold water until cooled.  Transfer them to a large bowl.

Place all the sauce ingredients in a blender and pulse for a few seconds to combine them.  Adjust the seasoning to taste.

Combine the noodles and the sauce, then serve. 

*  *  *  *  *

I do a few things differently.  First of all, I do not add sugar.  That's a personal preference.  I add chopped vegetables (I saute them a little before adding to the noodles).  Also, I do not cool down the noodles.  I prefer this as a hot meal, not cold.  If you eat meat you can certainly add it to this meal.

Give it a try and let me know what you think of the recipe.
 
 
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment