Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Vegetarian Diaries - Eggplant

Yes, I'm a vegetarian.  Not "Almost" a vegetarian.  That's like saying, "I'm almost pregnant."  Is that even possible?  I didn't think so.

I have been cooking with eggplant lately.  I came across this recipe in a Greek Cookbook that I wanted to share, it's called Melitzanokephtethes.  Or, translated, Eggplant Patties.  A little fattening, but, really, really good.  It's also another idea for something to do with all of those millions of eggplant that you picked from your garden!
They don't look too pretty when it's all mashed together
thought this frying shot would be nicer

cook them until they are golden brown

Very tasty!

Tried to take the first picture, but, someone ate it
yes, off the plate I had set up
At least they offered to put the rest back (I didn't think you wanted to see a half eaten piece)


Here is the recipe.  It's from the book, "From a Traditional Greek Kitchen"  Vegetarian Cuisine by Aphrodite Polemis

Eggplant Patties
Melitzanokephtethes

2 large eggplants
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
1 tsp baking powder
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup kefalotyri or parmesan cheese, grated
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
2 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
more bread crumbs for rolling
oil for frying

Wash eggplant and slit lengthwise in 2-3 places.  Drop in boiling salted water and cook until soft.  Remove skin and mash the pulp.  Add bread crumbs, baking powder, onion, cheese, parsley, eggs, salt and pepper.  Shape into patties.  Roll in extra bread crumbs and fry until golden.

*I added a little garlic (you could use garlic powder) to mine.  Hey, I'm greek.  We like our garlic!
They turned out great! 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment