Sunday, October 14, 2012

Scary-Journey - Halloween Crispy Rice Treats

Found these Pumpkin Spice Marshmallows at Aldi and thought they would be cool to try. 

They taste pretty good.  I wanted to try to make something using these marshmallows and see what happens.

I have never made Rice Krispy Treats in my life.  Hard to believe, I know.  The recipe is all over the place.  They even sell these rice treats in stores (already made).  I'm a little behind in the times, I guess.  They are not the healthiest of snacks.  I thought it would be something fun and festive to make for this time of year.

There was a recipe on the back of this marshmallow package.  I tossed in some ground flax seed to try and make it somewhat healthy.  Don't tell my kids.  Why not try to make it a tiny bit healthier than just a bunch of sugar.  Good thing they don't read this blog.  (of course as I type this, Nick is in the room, staring at the rice krispy treat). 

This is a very easy recipe, just melt the butter and the marshmallows in a pan
Add the puffed rice cereal (and flax)
press into a pan

Pretty easy!
If you want, add a few raisins (to make you feel better about the healthy factor).  Maybe some chocolate chips?  Or, just go all out and throw some candy corn (or candy pumpkins) on top! 

Here is the recipe found on the package (with my addition of ground flax seed)

Pumpkin Crispy Rice Treats

1/4 cup butter or margarine
1  10oz package of marshmallows (pumpkin spice)
5 1/2 cups of crisp rice cereal (can use the crisp brown rice version)
ground flax seed (I think I used about 1/4 of a cup)*

Melt butter in saucepan over low heat.  Add marshmallows and cook, stirring until marshmallows are melted and mixture is syrupy.  Remove from heat, add ground flax and crisp rice cereal and stir until coated.  Press warm mixture into buttered 13x9 pan.  Cool and cut into bars.

*it was the end of my bag of ground flax, so I just threw it all in.  Good measuring, huh?

You could add chocolate chips, raisins or candy corn to the mix.  Raisins might be a healthier choice.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment