Thursday, October 11, 2012

Homemade Hummus

Or, as RT would say, "humorous."

We eat a lot of hummus in our house.  I love it.  My kids love it, too.  I put some out with carrots and celery.  It makes a great after school snack.  Healthy, too!

It isn't too difficult to make.  Throw a few ingredients into your food processor (you can use a blender if you do not have a food processor) and you are done.


Just for kicks, I put mine in a hummus container from Trader Joe's.  It works for me.  It also explains to everyone what is in that container.

Here's the recipe I use, taken from "From a Traditional Greek Kitchen" by Aphrodite Polemis and a little updating from me.


Hummus

16oz chickpeas(garbanzo beans) cooked
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup lemon juice
1-2 Tablespoons Tahini

Put all ingredients into a food processor and blend.  Should come out creamy.

*I usually just use 1-2 garlic cloves. 




You can try adding different ingredients:  great northern beans,  kalamata olives and roasted red peppers.  I have made zucchini hummus (great thing to do with that abundance of zucchini from your garden)

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to try making this. It seems easy. But knowing me, I'd mess it up.

    ReplyDelete