Sunday, January 1, 2012

Thankful

Last year I set out to write 5 things that I am thankful for everyday.  I heard that this will change your attitude about things.  I didn't have a bad attitude, but, wanted to put this challenge to the test.  Who doesn't want to have a better attitude?

I learned a lot in the last year.  There are days that are going your way and everything looks great. Writing down your five things is no problem on these days. Somedays, nothing happens. Maybe you are sick or you didn't do anything. That makes it a little difficult to come up with five things.

 It didn't help that the first half of the year was a little challenging with my dad being sick.  It did make me take a good look around me and see what I am blessed with and to be grateful.   Memories, family, our health, having a home and food to eat were all things to be thankful for.  Nick finishing 8th grade. Bella's dance recital, Alex playing basketball, first days of school, vacations and my dog. 

It's something that I think I will continue.  It makes me look for and notice the good that is there.  It helps me appreciate what I have especially when I think I don't have much. 

I just read about another challenge.  (oh, no, here we go again)  This ties into a post I made a few days ago.  A book by John Kralik, "A Simple Act of Gratitude" tells how the author wrote a thank you note a day (to different people, I assume) to acknowledge the gift or blessing that he received.  (all that torture with thank you note writing is coming back to haunt us)  Seriously, what a great way to see the good in every day things and to share with others your joy and thankfulness?  Writing all my joys in my journal are nice, but, why not spread the love a little?

So, I believe this is my New Year's challenge this year.  To express my thankfulness to one and all and spread the love of peace and happiness.  I'm not sure if I can write a note a day.  I will continue to be thankful in my journal, but, I plan on letting others know how grateful I am (for what they have done, their thoughts, kind words, etc).  This is going to be a challenge.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment