Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Left foot, left foot, right foot, right

Bella has been learning how to read.  She started out chiming in when I would read to her, sometimes finishing a page or two.   She gets stuck on words, but, she is learning how to sound them out.  I suggested that she practice with Dr. Seuss books and she can read them to the dog.  (Newton is a great listener)

Next thing I see, there is Bella reading Hop on Pop (my favorite book)  to Newton and he is loving it!  You can tell he can't wait until she gets to the next page.  Oh, the anticipation on his face.  Ok, he's really trying to close his eyes and sleep meditate on every word that is being read to him.

We visited my mom last week and she found a book that she thought Bella might want.  (thanks, Mom, I owe you one)  It's The Foot Book, by Dr. Seuss.  (we have this one at home, but, we can always use another one)  Bella has left this book in my car so she can read when we are driving somewhere.  She had a few bumps when starting out, but, she worked through them.  She can breeze through it now without problems.  The kicker is, she likes to read out loud.  Now, I love hearing her read, I think its so amazing when your kids read to you.  It's like magic.  But, I'm thinking we have to change it up a little.   It probably doesn't help that I think I know all of the Dr. Seuss books by memory from reading them to the kids (so many times). 

Yesterday, on the way to and from gymnastics she read The Foot Book to me.  We went to the store and I heard it a couple more times (I even chimed in with her because I know the words).  Just one small problem.  All day yesterday I had the words of The Foot Book going through my head.  It was endless storytime in my brain.  You could probably have stopped me at any point during the day and asked me what was I thinking, and I would spit out a Dr. Seuss book to you.

As I was crawling into bed, I told RT.  He thought I was just being funny.  I then recited the entire book for him.  I'm sure he is thinking I need some serious help.

No comments:

Post a Comment