Monday, January 2, 2012

What happened?

Nothing like finding out on New Years day that someone has hijacked your ITunes account, changed the password, personal questions and email and has access to your credit card.

Ok, a whopping $.40 was charged to the card.  Not exactly a lot of money, but, how did they get my account information?  And, what else are they going to buy with my credit card?

RT and I both have Itunes accounts and were trying to figure out who got a hold of the information (and how).  I could not access my account at all.  They changed the password, email and personal questions.  RT's account was fine (I didn't even know he had an account).  RT ended up calling the credit card company and cancelling our credit card (so we are without a credit card for the moment, until they send us a new one).

We went through all of the scenarios.  Did the kids give our our account information to someone?  Who would they have given the information to?  On and on.  Then, we realize that Nick just sold his Itouch to GameStop.  Maybe the account info was on his Itouch and now the person who purchased it is able to access my account and change all of the information and start buying stuff.   You think they would check the stuff out first?

We told Nick what happened (we don't blame him).  We just said we learned a valuble lesson.  We should check out our electronics before recycling/selling/trading them.  He said that he ran a program that reset his Ipod.

Alex came home from a friends house and we relayed the story.  RT asked him if he had bought anything on Itunes.  He said he did, but, he had a credit.  We showed him the purchase that was made on New Years Eve and he said that was him. 

So, to make a long story short, we cancelled out credit card thinking that someone else had access to it and it was our own child. 

My Itunes account is still messed up and Itunes has been very helpful in cancelling the credit card for the account and restoring it back for my personal use.

I guess it's just another crazy day in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment