Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Virtual Beef: Using a Cow's Stem Cells to create Beef

Yea, the title makes me lose my appetite.  Getting your food from a science lab?  Not very appetizing.

I read an article by John Kass in the Chicago Tribune titled, "In vitro beef: It's what's for dinner in apocalypse."   If you get a chance, read the article.  (but, don't read it while you are eating)

As you know from past posts, I'm a vegetarian. Just search vegetarian to the right on my blog and several posts will pop up. I wrote about genetically modified fish here. I'm not a big fan of genetically modified foods (well, I don't know if many people are).

This article talks about scientists in London making meat in a lab by using stem cells from a cows. Mmm.....sounds appetizing, doesn't it?

I understand there are more people on earth to be fed, but, do we have to make fake food to feed all of them?

Would you purchase your hamburgers knowing that they were created in a lab?  How would you feel if you were told after you ate your hamburger that it was created in a science lab and that it was not from a cow?

If I was going to eat meat, I would want the real thing.  Meat from a cow, not a lab.  I would also want all meat labeled.  Maybe a little sticker that reads: Real meat or Genetically Modified Meat.

Well, in a perfect world, I wouldn't want any genetically modifying going on with any food whatsoever.  I want just plain real food.  For example, broccoli that is broccoli, not some genetically modified version imposing as real broccoli.  And, if I was going to eat meat it would be meat from a cow, not something grown in a science lab.

Well, that's my two cents.  Hope the article didn't cure you from food.  At least now you will take the time to find out what you are really eating, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment