Sunday, September 8, 2013

Pickled Jalapeno Slices

My jalapeno plants in my garden are doing great.  Every year I get an abundance of jalapenos that leaves me with, what do I do with all of them???

In past years, I have sliced them and popped them in the freezer.  Using them when making various dishes throughout the year.  I give quite a few away every summer.  This year I figured I should do something different with them.  I decided to try pickling them.  We love buying jars of pickled jalapenos, how hard can it be to make them?

I searched pickled jalapeno slices and came up with a recipe and how to from Simply Scratch.  It looked so easy to do, I thought, Hey, I can do that too!  Click here to go view the beautiful pictures and tutorial.  Check out the rest of her blog, too.  It's pretty cool!

Here's the recipe, taken from Simply Scratch:
 
Easy Homemade Pickled Jalapenos

15-20 large jalapenos, sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup distilled water
4 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons Kosher salt

In a medium sauce pan combine the garlic, water, vinegar, sugar and salt.
Heat to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Once at a boil; add the sliced jalapenos pressing them so they are submerged under the pickling liquids. Remove the pot off of the heat and let them sit for 10-15 minutes.
Use tongs to transfer the jalapenos into a clean jar. Ladle the pickling juices over top until you've reached the top of the jar. Let cool at room temperature before securing a lid and popping them into the fridge.


 
I made a batch and had to try one just to see how they taste.  Definitely a thumbs up.  I will definitely be making more.  (I don't see these lasting too long around here)
 
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good! I'm going to have to get me some pickling jars.

    ReplyDelete