Monday, September 16, 2013

Pasticho (or Pastitso) also known as Greek Lasagna

This post is not one for my vegetarian diaries.  This meal contains meat, definitely not a meal for vegetarians.  I make this meal for the meat eaters in my family.

If you have an oven (hint, hint...it's time to get one if you don't have one!) this is a great meal to make.  I'm Greek, remember?  I ate a fair amount of (delicious) Greek food growing up.  One of my (many) favorites was pastitso.  My grandmother made the best pastitso.  I don't have her recipe for pastitso, but, I found this recipe in a church Greek cook book that I received as a wedding gift.  It's pretty good.  I made this dish the other day for the family.  Well, there really wasn't much talking when everyone was eating, but, since the pastitso disappears rather quickly when I make it, I will take that as a thumbs up all around.

Here's the recipe:


Pastitsio

Meat Layer:
2 lb ground lean chuck or round steak
1 stick butter
1 cup grated onion
1 Tbsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon
6oz can tomato paste
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
1 egg

Saute onions in butter.  Add meat, stirring until browned.  Add seasonings, tomato paste, wine and water.  Simmer, uncovered, until water is absorbed (about 20 minutes).  Cool.  Add an egg, which has been well-beaten to mixture.  Stir in parsley.  Set aside.

Macaroni Layer:

1 1/4lb long macaroni
4 eggs, well beaten
2 cup grated kasseri cheese (or imported Romano cheese)

Cook macaroni according to directions on package.  Rinse and drain well.  Toss macaroni in a large bowl with the beaten eggs and grated cheese.

Sauce:

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
3 cups milk
5 egg yolks
1/4 cup kasseri cheese (or imported Romano cheese)

Melt butter in saucepan.  Add flour and mix well.  Gradually add cold milk, stirring all the time.  Continue to whisk the mixture as you cook it over medium heat.  When thickened, remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.  Meanwhile, beat egg yolks well and blend into cooled sauce.  Finally, stir in cheese.

Grease a 10x14 inch pan.  Layer half of the macaroni in pan, followed by the meat mixture, then top with the other half of the macaroni.  Do not pack down the macaroni.  Pour sauce over casserole.  Lightly sprinkle with cinnamon and bake in a preheated 375F oven for 45 minutes.  Cool before cutting into squares to serve.

This can be prepared and frozen prior to baking.  When ready to serve, thaw and bake as directed.

If you make the pastitso, let me know how it turns out. 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I want an earth oven, and Tom won't make me one. Can you make it in a slow cooker? I have one of those now. :)

    ReplyDelete