Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Genetically Modifying our Food

On the radio they were talking about genetically modified fish (GMF).

Genetically modified means the animal is injected with the genes of another animal.  In this case it is fish.  Once injected the fish can grow twice as fast.  This fish is awaiting FDA approval.  Here is an article about GMF to read for more information.

The government does not feel the need to have this fish labeled.  They fear that if the fish is labeled "genetically modified" that it would not be appealing to the customer.  I know that it doesn't sound very appetizing to me to see the words "genetically modified" on food that I am going to eat.

This is probably going to be an ongoing problem (genetically modifying food).  Wouldn't it be easier to slow down fishermen a little and ban fishing in certain areas for a length of time?  Do we have to keep messing with the food that we eat?  How about just leaving it alone?

How do you feel about genetically modified food?  Do you think that it should be labeled?  Would you buy and eat it?

2 comments:

  1. Hate it.
    Yes, label it.
    No, I would not buy it, and no, I would not eat it.
    I do not like GM Fish, Sam I Am.
    No surprise there, right?
    How about growing fish using aquaponics instead?
    YES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they do label it. Unfortunately, they (FDA) will leave it unlabeled so people will buy it. After awhile they will then tell us that we have been eating it all along.
      I like the idea of growing fish using aquaponics. I don't see why that can't be done. (well, not helping any major corporations)
      Like you said, it's good to be aware of the food that you eat.

      Delete