Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Vegetarian Diaries - Black Bean Tortilla Pie

Haven't posted in awhile on my vegetarian adventure. 

I have met a few more people this summer that are vegetarians.  One of the people I met has been a vegetarian all of her life.  She describes her parents as "hippies."  She did try meat for awhile (to see if she was missing anything).  Didn't feel she was missing anything and is currently a pescatarian (a vegetarian who eats fish).  She is raising her daughters vegetarian, also (her husband is a carnivore).

I still get asked if I am "still a vegetarian."  Also, "do you miss meat?"  and "Will you ever go back to eating meat?"  Answers:  Yes.  No.  Don't think so. (I don't know the future, but, from my current experience, I doubt I will go back to eating meat)

I thought I would share a favorite recipe of mine.  I do not know where I found this recipe.  I have been making it for a long time (back when I had only one child).  < That sounds better than listing a number of years.  :)

Here it is:

Black Bean Tortilla Pie

1 can (15oz) black beans, drained, rinsed
11oz corn
1 cup salsa
4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
jalapeno, chopped (optional)
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 garlic clove, minced
7 (5 or 6 inch) corn tortillas
1/3 cup salsa

optional
shredded lettuce
salsa
guacamole

Heat oven 350F.  In medium bowl, combine beans, corn, salsa, 2/3 cup cheese, green pepper, onion, chili powder, cumin and garlic.  Place 2 tortillas in bottom of glass pie plate (I use a Pyrex bowl)
Top with half of the bean mixture.  Place 2 more tortillas over filling (make sure sides are covered).  Spread remaining mixture over tortillas.  Cover with remaining salsa and top with cheese.

Cover with foil and bake 20-30 minutes until thoroughly heated.

Serve with lettuce, salsa and guacamole.


There are so many things you can do to this recipe.

Add cilantro.  Chop and add more spicy peppers.  Add more cheese. 

It's a delicious recipe and fun to make (differently) every time.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Can you believe my kids don't like beans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we have to work on that. What's so bad about beans? My kids will eat green beans out of a can. In fact, they like having a grilled cheese sandwich with a side of green beans. Yea, I must have weird kids.

      Delete