Friday, September 20, 2013

Plastic Bags

Paper or Plastic?

I always bring my own bags when I go shopping (BYOB).  It really isn't that hard to remember.  Keep them in your car.  Right next to you if you have to.  Grab them as you are getting out of the car.  After awhile, it will become a habit.  They are really easy to clean.  Just toss them into the washing machine.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I do have some plastic bags.  (shame on me!)  I do need them for certain things, like....dog clean up duty.  I don't think I need to go into detail there.  Having two dogs, well, yea, I need a bag every once in awhile, thank you very much. 

When I go out and am going to bring stuff with me, I use one of my cloth tote bags.  Stuff everything I will need for that trip into my bag.  For some reason, I do carry a plastic bag with me.  Just in case.  Hey, you never know when something weird might happen and you really need that plastic bag.

One time, Alex was playing baseball (maybe 4 or 5 years ago) and a bunch of kids were hanging around staring at a dead bird.  The other parents were all freaked out telling them to stay away.  Well, yea, it's a dead bird.  I happened to have a plastic bag with me and bagged the bird (LOL) and tossed it in the garbage can.  So, emergency situations like that is when your plastic bag comes in handy.

Yesterday I had a similar situation.  It wasn't a bird this time (although, that would have been much more welcome than what actually happened). 

Alex has been running in Cross Country and has had several meets.  I haven't been able to make them because they happen to be on days that Bella has something going on.  Yesterday was the first time in a couple weeks where we were free from activities and I could FINALLY attend Alex's meet.  I was so excited to finally see him run.  Bella got off the bus and wasn't looking too good.  I thought it was from the heat.  It was a hot day (the car temp read 97F).  We get to the meet.  Start walking from the car and Bella almost tosses her cookies (vomited?  threw up?)  We sat in the shade (well, Bella was laying down) and watched the start of the race.  Luckily, eighth graders ran first.  I saw Alex run the first lap.  Then the second lap.  Then Bella gets up and has that look.  I walked her to the garbage can and, well, let's just say it wasn't pretty. 

I didn't get to see much more of the race.  I do know that Alex finished.  We left right after the end of the race.  Walking back to the car, I realized that I had a plastic bag and gave it to Bella.  Just in case. 

My "just in case" came in handy in the car.  I was even more thankful that there were no holes in the bag. 

I will still carry my tote bags and use them when I shop.  I will also use them when I need to carry things with me when I go on an outing.  And I will ALWAYS have a plastic bag with me. 

One without holes, of course.

1 comment: