Saturday, February 9, 2013

Vegetarian Diaries - Chinese Noodle Soup

Went to a friend's house last weekend for the Super Bowl.  I mentioned that I am a vegetarian (before we went there) and told them not to worry about food for me.  I made sure to bring a salad along for dinner. 

While we were there, my vegetarian-ism was brought up.  It seems to be such a hot topic for people.  They want to hear all about it.  Why?  When?  What (brought this about)?  I answered all questions.  I did overhear a couple people say that they could never do that (go vegetarian).  They said they need their meat. 

Turns out one of the party goers brought a vegetarian dish (veggie tacos) just for the occasion.  Oh, and they absolutely loved my salad.  (which was whatever I felt like tossing in)  Even the meat lovers went for seconds on the salad. 

This week we have all been battling a bad cough.  I can't seem to shake it.  Yes, I should do the apple cider vinegar shot and get it over with (I'll do it after I put up this post.  I promise).  Today's coughing was non stop for me.  Throat lozenges aren't doing the trick.

I had a taste for soup.  Since I don't eat meat, chicken noodle soup is out.  I thought an Asian noodle soup with some vegetables sounded pretty good. 

Here's what I came up with, taken from Allrecipes.com
 

4 ounces dry Chinese noodles
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
6 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
2 green onions, chopped
1 skinless, boneless chicken breast half
2 eggs
 
*I left out the chicken, added more green onions and mushrooms and one more egg and a touch of soy sauce
  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Stir noodles into boiling water and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. (For a chewier texture, shock the noodles by pouring 1 cup cold water into the pot when it starts to foam, then letting it come to a boil again to finish cooking.) Drain and divide into two serving bowls.
  • Meanwhile, bring chicken broth to boil in a medium saucepan with mushrooms and green onions. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and stir into boiling broth. When broth returns to a boil, crack eggs into broth. Continue to cook until chicken is no longer pink and eggs are cooked, about 10 minutes. Pour the chicken soup over the noodles in the bowls and serve immediately.
  • Enjoy!

    1 comment: