Sunday, February 17, 2013

My First Sewing Attempt

You knew this moment was coming. 

I finally got the machine out, the needle threaded (about a dozen times), cut some material and made a project that I have been eyeing for some time.   I found the inspiration and tutorial here on the blog, "This Heart of Mine."  I thought  the clutches that Amy made were adorable and they seemed rather simple to make. 

I learned a few things along the way.  Like, measure your materials.  Yea, it seems simple and a no brainer, but it's the one thing I did not do the first time around.  Hey, it was my first time! 

I also learned that it's OK to get up and walk away for a few minutes.  The needle kept unthreading itself to drive me crazy.   Sometimes walking away and coming back gives you a fresher perspective (and a little more patience so you can strangle thread that needle).

It's also okay to improvise.  That probably isn't what a professional sewer (seamstress?) would say but, I figure sometimes you just have to go with your gut.  Adjust things if you need to.

Here's a picture of my first little clutch bag.  I loved the colorful leafy fabric.  I haven't figured out how to add a snap yet.  That's my next step (once I have mastered making these).
 I told Bella about it when she got off the bus today.  She was pretty excited and said, I can't wait to use it.  (she likes to take over things that I make and keep them all to herself)  Of course, when she saw it, she said, "Never mind.  I don't want it." 

Ouch!  Where's the love?

Back to my little clutch.  My issue is the inside pocket is sewn, but is not straight (longer on one side).  That's where the measuring comes in.
Hard to see in this picture. 
Look closely and you will see that the top of the inside pocket is not straight.

Here's a picture of my second attempt.  I decided to make it a little smaller to use as a package for a gift.   I even measured this time. (surprise, surprise)  I made a template.

 My template size is 3.5"x6".  This makes a pretty small bag.  Again, my bag did not come out perfect (I'm determined to get it right).  The outside is red and the inside is red with white hearts. 


Of course, Bella saw this one and grabbed it.  She said it's perfect for her and that she loves the Velcro.  Glad I could get it right this time for her.

I'm off to make another one.  Hopefully three times is a charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment