Monday, January 28, 2013

Thank you in the mail

Awhile back I wrote about writing Thank You notes here and here.   

I still think it's an important thing to do.  Everyone likes to be thanked.  Writing the note means so much more to a person than an email or text message.

Today I went to get my mail  (well, it's at the curb, I didn't have to go far).  I love getting mail.  Unfortunately the majority of my mail consists of bills or applications for credit cards.  I mean, how many credit cards do I need?  And why is your card better than the one I already have in my wallet? 

What I look for (and I think most people do this) when getting the mail is for personal letters.  Letters addressed (by hand).  I then know that a real person sent me something, not a direct mail service.  Today's mail had one of those personal letters.  I was quite excited!

To my surprise, I received a Thank you card in the mail.  Like I said, I love getting mail!  This card was hand made and handwritten.  Thanking me for a gift that I sent (remember the necklace and soap I sent off to Patti?). 

I was touched and it brought a smile to my face.

So, to all of those out there who think that handwriting a note to someone is old school, I say, ask the recipient of the card how they felt when they received it.

I think they will thank you for your thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment