Saturday, January 19, 2013

Sew, this is how you do it

I took a sewing class this morning.  I was the youngest one in a class of four.  Felt a little strange being the youngin' of the group.  I did get lots of help and pointers from my classmates.  They told me I would be hooked on sewing after this class.

My other classmates have used sewing machines before and this class was to help them figure out how to use their new machine. 

This was my first sewing class.  I was pretty nervous and really excited.  I have always wanted to learn how to sew on a machine.

Let's just say that anything that could go wrong....did.  It was frustrating.  I had a hard time threading the needle.  I had to take the needle out and thread it.  After the 10th time threading it by hand, the instructor said that maybe the needle was oiled by the manufacturer and that's why I was having problems.  While I was still threading my needle everyone else had finished doing a straight stitch and they were starting to work on the zig-zag stitch. 

Once my needle was threaded (and stayed threaded) I attempted the straight stitch.  Of course, I couldn't get my machine to do a straight stitch using the thread.  The machine would sew all the way across and when I pulled out the material, there was nothing there.  My thread somehow got wound with the thread underneath creating a huge knot (and mess).  When that was all cleared up (I fixed it)  I FINALLY sewed my first straight stitch!  So exciting!  The instructor said that I should staple it to the back of my book so I can make notes so I know how to do it next time.  I said, "I'm going to frame it so everyone can see it!"   I was pretty proud of myself.  :)

I moved onto the zig-zag stitch and broke the needle.  The instructor kept telling me that it's great I did that (broke the needle, can't thread the needle, tangled the thread, etc.).  I didn't think it was great when it happened.  I did realize that by having these problems with the instructor right there and the fact that I had to fix the problem myself that I learned a lot more than most beginners on their first day sewing.

The new needle and I get along great.  We zig-zagged and stitched for a little while.  Of course, once I did a couple zig-zags, class was over. 

I do have to go back and learn a few more things, like button holes.  A lot of these things the other three ladies learned while I was working away rebuilding my sewing machine.

I will practice my new skill and will (hopefully) have something to share that I have sewn by myself.  I wouldn't hold my breath or anything.  This might take awhile.

5 comments:

  1. That's so cool you're learning to sew. I had to sew in high school for Home Economics. I remember my teacher shaking her head in disbelief at just how bad I really was...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool that you had a home ec class. I didn't get a chance to take one (I don't think my school offered that and it was an all girl high school..go figure). I would have loved to see some of your sewing projects. Yea, to laugh at. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I knew that joke was going to make it's way to this page. Sew glad it did.

      Delete
  3. ... and I had a lead foot. I'd step on the peddle and that sucker would fly across the fabric. I never was able to make a buttonhole.

    ReplyDelete