Friday, January 25, 2013

Companies that use Voice Mail

I'm not a patient person. 

There.  I said it.

I don't think anyone likes to wait.  I try my best and am pleasant.  I wait my turn.  I do not get angry with anyone if I have to wait.  I have realized that waiting is a part of life. 

I placed a call to our cable provider.  I'll leave out the reason because that could be another blog post.  I placed the call and was greeted by voice mail.  This is pretty common for most large corporations.  I can understand that the majority of the questions that come in can be answered by a machine.  I have used that feature on occasion when I need a quick, easy answer.  I think it's a great option to have where the company is not tying up their customer service people. 

Unfortunately, my call required a customer service rep.  Trying to get to that rep is a different story.  The voice mail tries to get you to use the pre-recorded answers.  They do not give the option to talk to a rep.  They make you suffer through their lengthy number choices and you end up choosing every option possible.  If you remain on the phone long enough, they will feel sorry for you redirect you to a customer service person. 

Of course you will have to "please be patient and your call will be redirected." 

Then comes the absolutely worst thing they can say.

"Your call is important to us, please wait on the line and our next Customer Service rep will be with you in a moment."

It's nice to say, but, when it's repeated over and over and over again you realize that your call is not important to them.  If it was, then why aren't they answering your call? 

Oh, yea, they throw in, "Our customer service reps are busy helping other customers, your patience is appreciated."

So, my call is important, but, someone else who called a few minutes before me, and was granted access to the customer service rep, is more important than me. 

 I don't have a solution to this problem, except, stop telling me that me and my call are important to you.  Just pick up the phone!

1 comment: