Thursday, December 29, 2011

A Lost Art

Tonight I asked the kids to write some thank you notes.  It was like I asked them to do something out of the ordinary.  Something never before heard of, something very, very strange.

When I was growing up (you can hear Nick in the background yelling, "Back in the Stone Ages"), Thank You note writing was MANDATORY.  No questions, no ifs, ands or but's.  You just did it and did not complain about it.  (my mom was not going to hear about it)  A couple of days after Christmas, on the kitchen table, there were 3 place settings.  At each setting you would find a pen and a list.  The list consisted of names and gifts that were given.  At the top was a name.  In the middle of the table was  a stack of thank you cards and envelopes and an address book.  The key was to sit at the appropriate spot and start cranking out thank you cards.  You were not allowed to get up until they were all done.  There was no instruction given.  You just sat and started writing.  My brothers were very quick about this process.  They scribbled something down and were done in a short amount of time. Who knows what they wrote?  Probably "Thanks for the gift."   I never knew what to write.  My notes asked  how they are doing, about the family dog and anything else I could think to add.  I eventually got to the gift part. 

I always bring up this story whenever they have to write thank you notes.  I'm not sure if they listen or not.   I'm sure all they hear is, "Blah-blah-blah-blah, Blah, blah-blah-blah."

Tonight they cranked out 4 notes each.  I made the boys address envelopes (again, something they have never done).  

I'm now realizing what a lost art the Thank You note is and think that it is something that should be kept alive.  I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that feels this way.  (Ok, I know my mom is probably one of the major supporters of the Pro-Thank You Movement) (Yea, I'm sure it's named)  It's a nice personal way to show your gratitude to the person(s).  Thank them for a gift, their time, kind thoughts or just being there.  (and to ask about your dog)  And, to the receiver of the note, it's nice to know that your time or gift was received and appreciated.  And, most of all, who doesn't like to get mail?

I think we should all stop and take a few moments and write a little note to someone.  Thank them for a gift, for their time, for listening, caring or sharing.  You will feel good and you will put a smile on someone elses face.

No comments:

Post a Comment