Friday, March 9, 2012

Daylight Savings Time

It's  that time of year again, Daylight Savings Time (DST).  The time where you "spring ahead" an hour. 

I thought I would read up on it a bit.  I browsed Wikipedia and learned that it was first talked about in 1895.  The first time they implemented DST was during World War I.  Using DST gives you more daylight hours, less time to have to use lights (electricity, lamps, etc).  It is nice in the fall and winter to actually wake up and it's light out.  In the spring/summer it's nice to be able to enjoy the daylight hours awhile longer.  From what I have read, I'm not so sure it has helped the energy consumption, but, at least we have more time to enjoy the day.

With children, it's always hard to coordinate bed times with the time change.  Luckily our kids are older and will sleep in a little on Sunday if they need that extra time.  I know as the weather warms up, we will enjoy the longer evenings, being able to stay outside a little longer.

I know the time change does not take place until 2am Sunday, but, I have a habit of changing the clocks around in the afternoon. (not something that is appreciated by all that live here)  Why not get used to the new time a little earlier?  Aldo, why not keep everyone guessing about the exact time? 

Giving up an hour of sleep, or, losing an hour of your life (as some people might think of it), is hard, but, think of all the fun you will have when you have that extra hour of light.  (It also means that it will warm up soon)

Don't worry, you will get that hour back in the Fall (Autumn) and, you can sleep in that extra hour.  Of course, at that time, I will move the clocks back in the afternoon, and you will miss that extra hour of sleep because you will go to bed at the new time.

No comments:

Post a Comment