Monday, October 7, 2019

Freezer

Growing up, I remember my parents would buy meat in large quantities and my Mom would take the time to cut it up into smaller portions and freeze it.  When my Mom worked on the meat, it was usually a two day process.

When I was little, I didn't think anything of this whole process.  As I got older, my Mom turned this whole freezing thing into a way of life.  If we had some leftovers, my Mom would freeze a portion or all of them.  She would make a lasagna and freeze what we did not eat.  Sometimes she would just freeze the whole thing!  She would freeze EVERYTHING!  Chocolate Chip Cookies was another item that went into the freezer.  My Mom would make a batch and once they were cool, she would put them into a container and pop those puppies right into the freezer.  You walk into the house and smell cookies and find out that they have already been frozen.  If food didn't get touched right away, my Mom had the container out and was ready to freeze it.  

We used to joke about how I wouldn't bring home any boyfriends.  I was afraid my Mom would toss them into the freezer along with all of her other frozen goodies.

Time has passed and guess what?  I have discovered the wonders of the freezer.  I started small and worked my way up.  Extra marinara sauce.  A huge butternut squash and only using a portion of it.  Gradually I worked up to the next level.  Green peppers are starting to go bad?  Slice them up and freeze them for later.  Buy too many onions?  Before they go bad, dice them up and freeze them.    You'll thank yourself later when you don't have an onion and you won't have to do all of that chopping!

I used to make fun of my Mom and her freezing sickness and here I am, freezing everything in sight.  Well, except for Chocolate Chip cookies.  Those never make it to the freezer.  They seem to disappear right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment