Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Chocolate Chip Chokies

I know my brother Steve is having a good laugh at that title.

I briefly mentioned my Mom making Chocolate Chip Cookies in a post or two ago and how she would freeze them right away.  What I forgot to mention was the consistency of the cookies.

My Mom used the Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe that appears on the back of their Chocolate Chip bag.  The only problem with that was when my Mom made them, they were as hard as a rock.  I made the mistake  commented to my Mom one time about the cookie's hardness and she replied that she liked them that way.  On top of the hockey puck  rock  cookie being so hard, my Mom would place them in the freezer, making them permanently hard.  I'm not sure if she was trying to get us to chip a tooth or what?

Oh, I should probably talk about the name, Chocolate Chip Chokies.  My Mom wrote her recipes out on recipe cards back in the day.  When she wrote out the recipe title, she wrote:  Chocolate Chip Chokies.  She tried to turn the "h" into an "o," but, it didn't quite work.  You could still see that it was originally an "h."  The card was kept as is and we found it hilarious and referred to them as "chokies."

When we started making the cookies on our own, we added only the recommended amount of flour and they were a normal consistency (in other words, not as hard as a hockey puck).

All this talk about hockey pucks  rocks  cookies and I'm feeling the need to make some.

Here's the recipe:


TollHouse Chocolate Chip Chokies

1 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp hot water and mix alternately with 
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chocolate chips

In a large bowl, mix in order as they appear.   Bake 350 for 18-20 minutes.



Oh, if you want to achieve that consistency of a rock, just keep adding flour (in addition to the 2 1/4 cups) so the cookie batter is not sticky at all.  (Hey, that's how I was taught).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment