Friday, August 16, 2013

Peanut Butter Raisin Bran Cookies

Per requests, I purchased some raisin bran cereal.  Unfortunately, I bought the box at Costco (the store where you can purchase lifetime supplies of your favorite food product). 

Everything was going well for awhile, then, all of a sudden, the cereal was not moving.  No one was eating it.  I had requests for other cereals but said we have to finish the raisin bran first. 

That went over well. 

Guess who is the only one eating the raisin bran cereal in our house? (me)

I decided there has to be something I could make with the cereal to make it disappear a little faster.  Then I came upon this:  Peanut Butter Raisin Bran Cookies.  Click on the link to take you to the Betty Crocker website for the complete recipe and a few reviews.  Maybe there is a cereal that you are trying to get rid of  at your house?  Or, maybe you feel like making some cookies since the weather seems to think that it is fall.

Here is the recipe:

taken from the Betty Crocker Website
(click on link to take you to the site)   
 
 
 
Ingredients:
1/2  cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2  cup peanut butter
1/2  cup granulated sugar
1/2  cup packed brown sugar
1     egg
3/4   cup all-purpose flour
3/4   teaspoon baking soda
1/2   teaspoon baking powder
4     cups Raisin Bran cereal
 
Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, mix butter, peanut butter, sugars and egg until blended. Stir in flour, baking soda and baking powder. Stir in cereal.
 
On ungreased cookie sheets, drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart.
 
Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheet.      
*I decreased the sugar to less that 1/4 cup and eliminated the brown sugar.  I figure the cereal has some sugar in it.  If your peanut butter has sugar in it (mine doesn't, it's just peanuts), then you might want to adjust, too.  Unless you like all of that sweetness.  :)
*4 cups of cereal was quite a bit, making the dough very "cerealy" (I'm pretty sure that's a word).  I would add it slowly next time.  3 cups might be better.  You will have to use your best judgement on this one.
 
These were a big hit at our house.  And, guess what?  We are not out of raisin bran cereal.  
 
It looks like I will be making more of these cookies real soon!
Enjoy!                  

No comments:

Post a Comment