Friday, August 23, 2013

Homemade Lotion

I know.  You are going to say, "Why are you making lotion?  Just buy some at the store!"

I thought the same thing.  It looked like something fun to try to make.  I had the ingredients and thought, why not? 

I'm not going to give a tutorial on how to make lotion.  You can search the web for "how to's" and come up with some wonderful tutorials.  I used this tutorial that I found here.  Susan from Rawmazing  has some beautiful pictures and the tutorial is wonderful.  Read through the comments for more help and suggestions.  Making the lotion is very easy using the step by step instructions.

At first I thought that I would try making lotion for gifts.  It's pretty simple and would make a nice gift, don't you think?

I should try the lotion first.  What if I didn't like it?  I wouldn't feel comfortable giving lotion to someone that I didn't try out myself.

So, I tried using the lotion one day.   At first, I used it on just my feet.  Being that it is summer, I was walking around the house in a pair of sandals.  The lotion is on the greasy side and we have wood floors.  I didn't want to make the floors slippery.  (although it would be fun to watch the kids and dogs slide around)  If it was colder outside, I would have put socks on my feet.  After some time, I noticed that my feet were softer.  I thought I would try using the lotion all over.   Again, it's pretty greasy going on, but, it soaked right into my skin. My skin must have been pretty dry.   I continued using it for awhile until, one day, I ran out.  oh no!

I used some lotion that we had in our bathroom.  It wasn't the same.  It had this plastic-y (I'm sure that's a word) feeling going on and felt like I had a coat of paint on my skin all day (something I did not experience with the homemade lotion).   Oh, and my itchy skin problem was back in full force.

I forgot to mention that I have dry skin.  I have problems with my skin becoming so itchy that I wanted to scratch it (my skin) off.  Yea, that bad.  When I started using this homemade lotion, I noticed that the itching was gone.

So, today I had to make another batch of lotion.  For my skin.  And for my sanity. (itchy skin is not fun)

When you whip it up it's like butter.  It goes on greasy (you don't need too much) and you don't feel itchy. < < that's the best part

Here's the recipe, taken from Rawmazing:

Homemade Lotion

1 cup Raw shea butter
1/2 cup almond oil
1/2 cup coconut oil

1.  Melt shea butter and coconut oil in the top of a double boiler. Remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes.
2.  Stir in almond oil and essential oils of your choosing.*
3.  Place oil mixture in freezer or outside to chill.
4.  Wait until oils start to partially solidify (see photo) then whip until a butter-like consistency is achieved.
5.  Place in clean, glass jar and enjoy! A little goes a long way.

*Not all essential oils are skin friendly or child friendly. Please do your research before adding.
*I add lavender oil and love it.

If you make it, let me know how you like it.

**Update:  I made this lotion using Cocoa Butter and found it to be less greasy.  I love using it and will continue using the cocoa butter.  Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment