Friday, September 27, 2019

Dead Guy Shoes

A few blog posts ago, I was talking about how my family gives names to inanimate objects at our house.  Sometimes, it's a personal name, like Steve or Wayne.  And, sometimes, it's a location or item name such as, "the shelf" or "the piece."  (you can read that post by clicking HERE).

When RT and I first got married, we went to an estate sale not too far from our house.  I remember walking through the house.  I also remember losing my husband in one of the rooms.  I went back through the house to look for him and found him in one of the bedrooms.  He just happened to be looking at dress shoes in the closet.  These weren't old, raggedy shoes.  The majority of these shoes were new and in boxes.  They all had shoe trees.  A few of the boxes even had the original receipt inside.  You could tell that the owner took very good care of his shoes.

Well, when all was said and done, we ended up walking out of that house with millions  hundreds  many pairs of dress shoes.  I believe we paid something like $10 or $20 dollars total for all of the shoes.

RT was pretty excited.  I mean, who gets good men's dress shoes for $20?  And, not just one pair, but, several pairs (by several I'm talking 10-20 pairs).

We ended up going out with some friends that night and RT started telling his "shoe story."  He started out the day telling me that he needed to go out and buy some new shoes and next thing you know, we are at this estate sale and he's buying twenty pairs of men's dress shoes for $20!  He started referring to them as "Dead Guy Shoes."

It's been about twenty five years since RT purchased "Dead Guy Shoes."  He has used them over the years and has even passed a few pairs on to the boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment