Friday, March 24, 2017

Vegetarian Diaries - Fakes (Greek Lentil Soup)

I have been craving this soup ever since I became sick a few weeks ago.  My mom used to make this soup a lot when I was younger.  And, because I'm a vinegar freak, I absolutely love adding the red wine vinegar right before eating this soup.

My mom's recipe did not have the addition of carrots, but, I like having an extra vegetable in there.  Adds a little color (along with flavor).

It's hard cooking for yourself when you're sick.  You don't have the energy, but, you have a taste for a nice hot bowl of soup.  It's also difficult being the only vegetarian.  The other chefs in the house like to add meat to their dishes.

The great thing about making your own soup, you can control what goes into your soup.  I don't like a lot of salt (too much for me in canned soups) so, I don't add it when I'm cooking.

This soup came out quite nicely.  I can't wait to make it again.

Here's the recipe:

Fakes (Greek Lentil Soup)

1 cup brown lentils
1/4 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
a pinch of oregano
a pinch of rosemary
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp tomato paste
salt/pepper to taste
1 tsp red wine vinegar, or to taste

Put lentils in saucepan with water to cover and heat to boil.  Cook until tender and drain.

Heat olive oil in saucepan.  Add garlic, onion and carrot.  Cook until onion has softened.  Pour lentils,  4 cups water, oregano, rosemary,  bay leaves and tomato paste.  Bring to boil.  Reduce heat and cook for 30-40 minutes.  Add water if soup is too thick.

Ladle into bowl and add vinegar (to taste).


If you try making the soup, let me know what you think!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment