Monday, September 26, 2016

Hiccups

A hiccup is an involuntary contraction of the diaphragm that may repeat several times per minute.  taken from Wikipedia

For most people, hiccups last only a few minutes  -  Mayoclinic.org

That last part is key.

You see, when I get the hiccups, they can last about an hour.  I used to get them a lot when I was younger.  I tried every "cure" (they don't work) or they work one time (probably because I already had them for an hour or more).  When I was pregnant with Nick, he would get the hiccups all the time.  And guess what?  He would have them a long time.  When he was a newborn, RT videotaped him when he had the hiccups.  It's real cute to watch.  He is hiccuping and it doesn't bother him.  As time goes by and they won't go away, he starts to get upset and cries after he hiccups.  So, someone inherited the never-ending hiccup gene.

I have been pretty lucky the last few years.  I have avoided getting the hiccups.  The other night, just as I was climbing into bed, I hiccuped.

Me:  Oh, no.
RT:  What?
Me: I have the hiccups.
RT:  It's cute
Me:  This could go on for awhile

I turned off the lights and we were trying to sleep.  After about 10 minutes.

RT:  Are they almost over?
Me:  *hiccup*

I guess they weren't that cute anymore.

They did go away (finally) and, in the darkness I could hear a sigh of relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment