Wednesday, September 7, 2016

On the subject of hoarding.....

We have been slowly going through 60+ years of stuff collected (saved) by my parents.  I say "we" loosely, because it's mostly been my brother, Steve, doing the work.

My parents weren't hoarders.  But, (you knew there was going to be a "but") they did save quite a bit of stuff.  Things that none of us really want to keep for ourselves.  Some items should have been used (or thrown out or donated) years ago.  Some items my kids could have played with when they were younger.  Some items should just never have been kept at all.

I'm not a collector (at all).  I don't see the point, I guess.  I also think I would hate to dust around a bunch of collectibles.  And, where would I put them?  My mom has a few items that some people might collect.  Even though they were hers and she kept them all of these years I still don't want any of them.  Hey, I can just store memories of them in my mind (it's already cluttered up there, why not add more, right?).

My house is definitely not clutter free, but, after seeing what we are going through I have decided that I need to pare down even more.  Release the clutter and all the excess nonsense.  If it has no importance or hold any deep feelings, then get rid of it!  I don't want my kids to have to go through my stuff and wonder what the h_ll I was saving all of this c__p for.  I know I won't be able to get rid of everything, but, the more I get rid of the better off everyone will be many, many years from now.

Are you a collector?  What do you collect?  How do you store (and dust) your collectibles?  Do you live with a collector?  How's that going?

No comments:

Post a Comment