Friday, September 23, 2016

Fasolikia Yiachni (Greek Style Green Beans)

My mom used to make these ALL the time.  They are delicious, but, when they are served to you everyday a lot, you get sick of eating them.

Well, that's a great way to start off a post about a recipe you are going to share.  "Hey, here's a recipe for something I'm sick of eating!"

Luckily, that was many, many years ago.  I went quite a few years without eating them.  My garden this year was overflowing with green beans and I thought I would give it a try.  I was a little hesitant, thinking it could bring up some bad memories, but, guess what?  They were delicious!  So delicious that I made them a second time.  (not in the same week)  The tomatoes add a nice flavor.  I added some potatoes (just like mom) and it makes a great meal!

Here's the recipe:


Greek Style Green Beans (Fasolakia)

Ingredients:
1 lb. fresh green beans
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1  8oz  can tomato sauce
3 small potatoes, sliced
3 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp oregano
salt and pepper to taste


Directions:

Wash green beans and remove tips.
In a large saucepan, heat oil and sauté the onions and garlic.  Add tomato sauce and door for a few more minutes.
Add string beans, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper and stir.
Add hot water to cover green beans.  Bring to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer for about 45 minutes.



If you make them, let me know how they turn out.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment