Wednesday, March 12, 2014

100 Things that I am Thankful for ...

I am finding out (the hard way) how society influences our wants/needs.  Well, they can't influence our needs (what we actually need to live).  There are definite influences in our wants.

This influence can be seen through our children.   Bella came home today telling me about the book fair at school (aka school fundraiser). I told her that we would not be buying any books this time around (not that we have bought many in the past).  Bella was pretty dramatic about it all. Crying like it was the most awful thing, not buying a book at the book fair. I told her that we just went to the library and checked out several books. Apparently, that's not the same thing. 

I was upset and told her to get a piece of paper and write down 100 things that she is thankful for. She was a little shocked and said that would take a long time. I said that it shouldn't take that long. All you have to do is look around you. There are lots of things to be thankful for in your life. (Including your life). 

Bella got to work on her list. She grouped quite a few things together (I would have listed some separately). She got up to 29 (which should have been double or more) and was telling me more (her pen couldn't keep up with her thoughts). 

I have talked about how you should write down every night five things you are thankful for. I did this for a couple of years. It makes you think about your day and your life and to be grateful for what you have.  Putting value on people, health, happiness and life.

Unfortunately I got out of the habit. 

After this whole episode, I thought maybe it was a tough lesson for an eight year old. Will she understand the importance and value of what she already has and that sometimes it's not only "things" that we should care about but people, life and the beauty around us?

I decided to take the challenge myself. Hey, if I'm dishing a punishment out like this, I should be able to write a list.  I'm sure it will be hard, but looking around, I have plenty to be thankful for in my life.  I have been doing this "40 bags in 40 days" challenge and have been taking a real close look at the "stuff" we have accumulated. It's just stuff. Some things have memories, but most of the memories are right up there in your head. You don't need to hang on to a bunch of things  or buy a bunch of things to be happy. Get rid of them. Get rid of the clutter and look at the  precious things that are left around you. 

Well, I'm going to take the challenge and write down all (100 things) that I am thankful for.  

How about you?  

Will you take the challenge? 

1 comment:

  1. Challenge accepted! I'll have my kids do it too the next time they get all materialistic on me.

    ReplyDelete